Durham School Services, a national leader in student transportation, has been operating bus services for Waukee Community School District since July 1, 2013. Durham operates approximately 80 buses for the district. Every bus features two digital video cameras to monitor student behavior and the latest in GPS technology to provide real-time data from the road and help manage fuel consumption. All special education buses are equipped with air-conditioning.
If you have any questions regarding transportation, please feel free to call the General Manager. If you have questions regarding bus fees, please call the District Office at 515.987.5161.
Enroll/Cancel Transportation Services
Transportation Request Form – This form must be completed to enroll for transportation or to cancel transportation with Durham.
**This applies if you did not complete transportation during the registration process.
*If you signed up for transportation at registration and no longer need bus services, you must complete the online transportation form to cancel services. You will be charged if you don’t cancel services.
Busing & Walk Zones
Busing and applicable fees are determined by your primary home address.
- Elementary: more than 1 mile from the school = free
- Secondary: more than 2 miles from the school = free
- Walk-Zones will be defined as:
- Elementary Schools living less than (.76 miles)
- Secondary Schools – grades 6-12 living less than (1.01 mile)
- Within these walk-zones, students will not be allowed to pay to ride.
- Distances are calculated in accordance with board policy.
- Please refer to Board Policy: 702.2: Student Eligibility for Transportation and 702.2-R(1): Student Eligibility for Transportation
- Kindergarten through fifth grade students who live between .76 – .99 miles from their designated attendance center may pay to ride District-provided transportation.
- Sixth through twelfth grade students who live between 1.01 – 1.99 from their designated attendance center may pay to ride District-provided transportation.
- $625.00 per year, round trip, per child
- $312.50 per year, one-way, per child
- Fees will be assessed within the 1st quarter of school for the 1st Semester
- Fees will be assessed within the 3rd quarter of school for the 2nd Semester
- *Pay to Ride Fees are non-refundable
Distance to and from school is determined by Durham School Services GPS routing system.
*Fees are non-refundable if the cancellation process has taken effect after fees have been assessed.
Non-Public Parent Reimbursement Request Form
- Forms may be submitted via email, but these are only accepted in a scanned PDF format to the email below:
If mailing forms, please send them to the address below:
Waukee Community School District
560 SE University Ave
Waukee, IA 50263
The student IDs is a passive RFID card, which means that it does not emit any type of signal unless it
comes in close proximity to an RFID reader – about 1 – 2 inches.
The readers are located on the buses near the stairwell. The students will scan the card as they get on
and off the bus.
The student scan is date/time stamped when it occurs, and the encrypted data is sent over-the-air to
Once the student moves away from the on-board RFID scanner, there is no ability for the card to be
tracked (there is no GPS tracking built into the card). The bus is tracked using GPS, and the snapshot of
where the child is located only happens as the rider gets on and off the school bus.
RFID Cards are encrypted and contain a unique ID number that is associated with a student rider in
the backend database.
Students will not be tracked using the student ID. While the student ID does have a passive RFID chip,
there are no readers inside the school for the purpose of identifying a student’s location.
The only location where an RFID reader will be used is on the school bus. As students get on and off
the bus, the RFID will be read by the reader and software and log the time and location where a student
got on or off the bus. This measure has been put in place to increase the safety of students, particularly
for younger students who may get off the bus at the wrong stop.
Please call 515-987-2788 and someone from Durham will look up when and where your student
boarded/departed the bus.s.
Contact Information for Durham Services
Our bus facility is located at 605 University Ave., Waukee, IA 50263.
- Phone: 515.987.2788
- Fax: 515.987.2701
Gwen Brettman, General Manager
Ron Davis, Safety Manager
Scott Plummer, Routing
Elisa Kpurukoo, Operations Supervisor
Bonnie Tovrea, Trip Coordinator
Marjorie Burnett, Student Behavior Specialist
Mary Dickey, Dispatcher
Karissa Hicks, Administrative Assistant & Payroll